Translate

Friday, May 8, 2015

Healing Continues (My recovery - and lack of patience!)

I know I stopped writing about my illness and healing. I did this out of frustration. But it is now time to finish the hospital portion of the story and how the grace of God was with me during this trial.

After multiple tests over a two week period, it was discovered that I had a large mass and aneurysm on my portal vein, which was covered by thrombus (blood clot.)  Tests also showed that I have a genetic blood disorder called Factor V Leiden, which causes blood clotting. I was placed on blood thinning medication amongst other things. I had a hard time sitting around my room, so I was allowed to roam the hospital with my handy IV pole - which I decorated.  

Two attempts were made to biopsy the mass, but both rendered nothing. My portal vein was blocked. A large team of doctors were caring for me, and it was decided that I would undergo a Whipple surgery on January 13th. It would begin as exploratory, and advance as necessary. 

I was told by my surgeon that the mass was most likely a sarcoma. The C word scared me, but I kept my faith, even when he told me that it was 99% sure this was the case. There was no other reason for the mass and blood clot. If it was cancer, then I would begin Chemotherapy and go from there. The surgery would most likely damage my pancreas, and I would need to inject insulin for the rest of my life. I began researching the surgery on the internet, and knew that the long term prognosis (5 years) was not good.  

This is where my Savior Jesus comes in. I felt stronger in my faith than ever before. I began reading online devotionals, the chaplain brought me a copy of the New Testament since I did not have my bible with me. I had many loving people praying for me. Most of my nurses were christian as well, and they would visit with me, even coming in on their off days or before/after shifts to see me. Work friends stopped by. I felt strong and ready to face anything.

January 13th finally came. I woke up that morning feeling strong and unafraid. I knew that whatever happened that day, in that operating room, I would not be alone. Either I would survive or I would go into the arms of my Savior. My only sadness was that I would miss everyone here.

I spoke to the doctors prior to surgery and signed all of the necessary paperwork to proceed. I smiled and told my surgeon that I was not ruling out a miracle - and I know he thought I was nuts. I went into surgery, then - after what seemed like 5 minutes to me (7 1/2 hours to everyone else), I woke up looking into my husband's weary and worried eyes. I was being taken into ICU and his first words were, "You made it! You don't have cancer. Your pancreas is fine! You probably won't need insulin!"

I was confused at first, but realized that I did indeed make it through. God had more planned for me here. I am still not sure what these plans are, but I know they will be revealed when I am ready.

I began recovering from surgery - which included multiple procedures. ICU is not a fun place to be. I was moved to the transplant unit for care after 1.5 days. I had several scary moments, complications, transfusions, etc over the next couple weeks. I also battled depression for a few days but my faith and friends helped me stay strong. I will spare you the details on this. 

I was released from the hospital on the evening of January 30th. My 35 day stay was over, I was weak and afraid to be away from the 24 hour care.

This is when the true recovery began.

More to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment